They are both so wonderful as a couple, it is clear just be talking to them that they absolutely adore each other, however for the past couple of months they have been at it constantly and are now utterly frustrated to the point of giving up. The key to your success is to pay attention, however what if you do not know what to pay attention to?
Communication is important in relationships as it allows us to share interests, aspirations and concerns, to support each other, to organize our lives and make decisions, and to work together in caring for our love ones. Good communication is about the way we talk and listen, and about our body language. We can all learn how to improve the way we communicate.
Communicating clearly in a relationship
Talk to each other. No matter how well you know and love each other, you cannot read your partner’s mind. We need to communicate clearly to avoid misunderstandings that may cause hurt, anger or confusion, communication is the key to your success.
When you talk to your partner, try to:
- Think about what you want to say and what you are feeling when you say it
- Be clear about what you want to communicate
- Be clear about your message so that your partner hears it accurately and understands what you mean and even if they are not getting as quickly as you want them to, be patient.
- Talk about what you want and feel – use ‘I’ statements such as ‘I need’, ‘I want’ and ‘I feel’
- Share positive feelings with your partner, such as what you appreciate and admire about them, and how important they are to you. Positive reinforcement even when you are angry about something they did or said is important.
When we communicate, we can say a lot without speaking. Our body posture, tone of voice and the expressions on our face all convey a message. If our feelings don’t fit with our words, it is often the non-verbal communication that gets ‘heard’ and believed. Notice whether your body language reflects what you are saying. So you are angry but you decide to keep it inside, your partner is aware that something is off and you communicate that it is okay, they will 9 times out of 10 believe the body language being aware is the key to your success.
Listening to communicate
Listening is a very important part of effective communication. A good listener can encourage their partner to talk openly and honestly. Tips for good listening include:
- Keep comfortable eye contact.
- Lean towards your partner and make gestures to show interest and concern.
- Have a fairly relaxed posture with your arms and legs uncrossed.
- Face your partner – don’t sit or stand sideways.
- Sit or stand on the same level to avoid looking up to or down on your partner.
- Avoid distracting gestures such as fidgeting with a pen, glancing at papers, or tapping your feet or fingers.
- Be aware that physical barriers, noise or interruptions will make good communication difficult.
- Show genuine attention and interest.
- Ask for feedback from your partner on your listening.
Improving communication in a relationship
- Open and clear communication can be learnt. To improve the way you communicate, start by asking questions such as:
- What things cause conflict between you and your partner? Are they because you are not listening to each other?
- What things bring you happiness and feelings of connection?
- What things cause you disappointment and pain?
- What things don’t you talk about and what stops you talking about them?
- How would you like your communication with your partner to be different?
If possible, ask these questions with your partner and share your responses. Consider and try ways to communicate differently. See whether the results improve your communication. When you are more aware of how you communicate, you will be able to have more control over what happens between you. While it may not be easy at first, opening up new areas of communication can lead to a more fulfilling relationship. Sometimes you will be at that place where your mind is telling you that this is a waste of time, it will be exhausting at times, however if you keep at it you will not regret the reward.
Some things are difficult to communicate
Most of us find some experiences or topics difficult to talk about. It may be something that is painful or makes us feel uncomfortable. For example, some people find it difficult to express their emotions. It is often the things that cannot be talked about that hurt the most. Rachel was molested as a girl and there are times during intercourse she would check out literally on her husband and he thought something was either wrong with him or her. Every attempt to talk about it she would shut down, they needed counselling, however this situation will prove that communication is the key to your relationship success whether you both can do it together or you may need a third party. Relationshipguidesreview.com
The key to your success
If you can’t seem to improve the communication in your success, consider talking with a relationship counselor. Counselors are trained to recognize the patterns in a couple’s communication that are causing problems and to help change those patterns. You could also consider doing a course that is relevant to your relationship. It is better to act early and talk to someone about your concerns, rather than wait until things get worse.
Where to get help
There several places you can get help however, in fact you can get help right here on Relationship Guide Review.
Take action now, do not wait until you are steering in the eyes of a stranger, someone you have been around for so long yet you are still pulling out your hair when you are to talk to this person.